Pleasant Point Railway
We run 2km along the formation of the former Fairlie Branch Line, using locomotives, carriages, and a railcar that a small army of volunteers keep in top order. Throughout the year you will hear a whistle or a horn as trainloads of passengers from around the world ride the rails at Pleasant Point, a picturesque spot between the mountains and the sea.
Rm4 Model T Railcar
Rm4 is a replica of one of two lightweight railcars built by New Zealand railways In 1925, built on a one-ton Model T Ford truck chassis, in Wellington’s railway workshops. See more about Rm4.
After trials in the North Island, both vehicles were sent to the South Island to run in the Southland area. Rumour has it they were deliberately sent as far away from Wellington as possible.
While the D doesn’t look her age, the little 2-4-0 engine was built in 1878 by the Scottish locomotive manufacturers Neilson and Company of Glasgow. It carries their maker's number 2306.
After being shipped to New Zealand, the engine worked in various South Island locations on the New Zealand Railways system, from Christchurch to Bluff, along with stints in Timaru, Oamaru, and Gore. While in those days rail was considered a swift mode of transport, a trip on the D to Christchurch took eight hours. Now, it is a two-hour journey by car. Come 1985, and the engine was on the move once more. The management of Waitaki International Limited donated the D to the Pleasant Point Museum and Railway on the condition that it was restored to full working order. Work began immediately after it was transported to Timaru on March 23, 1985.
Pleasant Point Railway Station
The station building was built in 1875 and once housed the Post Office, sending letters and telegrams until a Post Office was built across the street from the station around 1913.
Regarded as the society’s workhorse, the Ab was built for the New Zealand Railways in 1922 by the Thames firm of A & G Price, carrying their maker's number 94.
The engine entered service on August 2, 1922. For the next 36 years, she spent her time working through the North Island. And then worked in the Canterbury district, although spells in the Dunedin area were not uncommon. On March 22, 1968, only 20 days after the closure of the Fairlie branch line, 699 was written off by the New Zealand Railways.
A hit with the children and adults with the interactive buttons. Featuring a coal mine, playground, farmyard, roundhouse, trams, diesel, steam locomotives, and much much more. No railway museum would be complete without a model railway.
Kiwi The Engine And Friends
Every Easter Weekend Saturday, Sunday, and Monday Kiwi The Engine and Friends come out to entertain the Adults and Children. with Percy, the Penguin, Polly the Pukeko, Wally the wetter, and Kiwi The Engine. 3 books tell the story of these characters and kids love them.